John Hope Franklin Elementary School: Science Session

The students at John Hope Franklin Elementary School were so excited to meet The Tulsa (OK) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated last week.

This STEAM session was provided by Health and Human Services with a focus on Science. Dr. Runako Whittaker reminded the students that the ultimate goal is to build and launch a rocket. She engaged them by asking questions to test their knowledge.

“What does one need to know in order to launch a rocket?”
“How do we learn about this?”
“Who builds and launches rockets?”
“What is an engineer?”

During the discussion of motion, visual examples were given of Newton’s First Law, which states that an object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion, unless a force acts upon that object.

The students were divided into two groups where each actively engaged in one of two Newton’s First Law Experiments. Afterwards, a student from each group reported on the outcome of the experiment.

The session ended with a quiz overview. The students expressed excitement as they showcased their knowledge by responding to the quiz questions both written and verbally!

Supporting Sisters Winning the Fight Celebration:

The Tulsa (OK) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated had the honor of being one of the sponsors for the Soulful Survivors Sisters Winning the Fight Celebration.

 

This partnership was led by the Health and Human Services Facet. It was an opportunity to celebrate survivors and remember those who lost the battle.

 

The event included spoken word, comic relief, SURVIVE, THRIVE and CONQUER activity and door prizes galore! The attendees found this occasion to be uplifting, educational and encouraging. There was also a reminder that laughter is good for the soul.

Soulful Survivor Tulsa’s mission is to educate and support African American women who have or has survived breast cancer. They believe the fight can be won through promoting awareness, early detection and treatment.

2019 Annual Community Baby Shower:

The event was held on Saturday, September 21 at Booker T. Washington High School sponsored by the Tulsa Health Department and other community organizations. This was an opportunity to educate pregnant women and new mothers about the factors contributing to infant mortality and connect families to local partnering support agencies/women’s health providers. Members volunteered at the gift table and provided donated items.

Volunteers were Links Juanita, Melody, Monique, Regina, Robin and Runako (6).

Susan G. Komen/Links Walk-A-Thon:

On September 28, 2019 The Tulsa (OK) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated participated in the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure and The Links, Incorporated Annual Walk-A-Thon.

 

The Susan G. Komen Race for The Cure was held at River Spirit Casino in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The Health and Human Services Facet set a goal to get our Chapter to move more and the Susan G. Komen Race and Links, Inc. Annual Walk-A-Thon were both awesome outlets to assist in this goal. We had twelve members and two Heir-o-Links participate. Five of the twelve members completed the 5K in addition to the 1-Mile Fun Run. The Tulsa (OK) Chapter of The Links, Inc. raised over $350 dollars for Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure and we had over 103K monitored steps taken.

The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is the world's largest fundraising event for breast cancer. It consists of a series of 5K runs and fitness walks to raise money for breast cancer, to raise awareness of the disease, to celebrate those who have survived breast cancer, and memorialize those who have not.

The mission of Susan G. Komen Tulsa is to provide funding for breast health services, breast cancer education and outreach in our Tulsa area and throughout Eastern Oklahoma.

Did you know that The Komen Tulsa Race for the Cure invests 75 percent of the funds raised to support vital local breast health services, and dedicates the remaining 25% to national research to find the cures?

This year the theme was: Be More Than Pink......Race for The Cure!

P.O. Box 700482, Tulsa, OK  74170-0482

tulsalinks@tulsalinksinc.com  |  (918) 605-1354

© 2019 by Tulsa Links Inc. Proudly created with Wix by Link Monique Armstrong

  • Tulsa Links Inc.
  • Twitter - Black Circle